The Liberty Head Nickel (also referred to as the V Nickel due to the reverse design) was officially minted by the U.S. Mint from 1883-1912. However, a few issues were struck in 1881 and 1882, and five pieces were struck in 1913, which today number among America’s most fabled numismatic rarities.
Designed by Charles E. Barber, the nickel features Liberty’s head on the obverse, and a roman numeral V on the reverse within a wreath. Most Liberty Head Nickels were struck at the main U.S. Mint in Philadelphia, but in 1912 the Denver and San Francisco mints also produced the Liberty Head Nickels. These coins can be distinguished from the Philadelphia Mint strikes by a small D or S mint mark on the reverse, which is located below the lower left dot.